How to Switch a Personal to a Business Instagram Account
Do you want to learn how to step up your Instagram game? You are most likely here to learn how to switch your personal Instagram account over to a Business Instagram profile, and perhaps you are slightly apprehensive. Do you know WHY you should make this switch and sooner rather than later?
What is the Difference Between a Personal and Business Instagram Account?
An Instagram Business Profile is a “jazzed up” version of a personal profile.
Most importantly, they are very similar, and the business profile comes with perks.
First of all, I will calm your worries right now by letting you know:
- you don’t have to change your @handle (mine is @DigitalGirlCA, what is yours?), it will stay the same
- your followers will likely not even notice you have switched
- your followers will have an easier time connecting with you from your profile as you can add a phone number, an email address and your business’s physical address. Keep in mind that you must include at least one contact option.
- at the time of writing thiss article, having a business account is not known to affect the algorithms
- it is a very simple change that is effective immediately
Next, I want to share with you a wonderful resource from my friends at Later that will help you decide if you should make the switch.
I know, the next questions you are going to ask are: “what’s in it for me” and “why would I want to do this”?
Well, it is simple.
The perks of having an Instagram Business Profile are as follows:
- access to Instagram Insights (analytics) that will help you post more effectively
- the ability to run Instagram ads
- be able to use a third party desktop (or mobile) app like Later to schedule your posts
(this is an affiliate link which gives you and me a perk when you click it, so it’s a win/win situation for both of us)
- add contact buttons to your profile to make it easier for people to connect with you
Making the switch to a Business Profile on Instagram is simple:
- Login to your Instagram account.
- Go to Settings in the top right corner.
- Tap Sign up for a Business Profile.
- Tap Create New Account or Convert Existing Account.
- (Optional) If you want to connect your account to an existing Facebook Page, you can. If you plan on using third party apps (like Later with your Instagram Business Profile, you’ll need to connect it to a Facebook Page.
- Make sure your profile is set to Public. Private accounts can’t switch to Business Accounts.
- On the Set Up Your Business Profile page, review your business’s contact information, make any changes and tap Done.
These instructions come directly from Instagram at the time of writing this article.
Please remember, above all that if you need help, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me.
Are you interested in stepping up your Instagram game?
Do you want to learn the ins and outs of how to use Instagram Stories to grow your business?
Looking for creative ideas for how to use Instagram Stories to attract your Ideal clients?
FIRST TO KNOW about our upcoming Instagram Stories Training!